I couldn't find gluten free burgers buns... so this will have to do! This recipe is more time consuming BUT so worth it ❤️
Best to eat these burgers fresh or you can freeze them up to 1 month. To reheat, add a bit of coconut oil or EVOO spray to a saucepan and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side. Most importantly, enjoy! 😊
Dietary Info: Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, *can be Vegan
Servings: 8 patties
Part 1: (for the patties)
- 1 can black beans or 1 cup cooked beans
- 1/4 white onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 1.5 cup broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 cup portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) or Coconut Oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
Part 2: (for the herbs)
- Handful of fresh herbs (I use cilantro and parsley)
- 2 cups arugula/spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup macadamia nuts or walnuts
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 gluten free bread crumbs
- 2 farm-raised eggs
- 1 3/4 cup grains (brown rice/quinoa/amaranth)
Before Cooking: set the oven to 400F and set aside a pot of water to cook your grains. You will want the grains to cook while we prepare
the patties in this recipe! (Follow box instructions for grains. For my recipe, I use 2 cups of water for 1 cup of brown rice, and 1 tbsp. coconut oil)
1. Add grains to boiling pot of water and cover.
2. Next, roughly chop white onion, carrots, broccoli and mushrooms. Add the vegetables, olive oil, parika, cumin, salt and pepper to a blender, and pulse until coarsely blended.
3. Line a large tray with tin foil. Empty the vegetables from the blender onto the tray and spread out evenly, using a spoon or spatula.
4. Place vegetables in the oven for 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the herb mixture by adding a handful of freshly rinsed herbs, macadamia nuts, bread crumbs and tomato paste to a blender. Blend until finely combined.
6. Remove vegetables from the oven. With a spatula, stir and move them around and again, spread them evenly and pat them down.
7. Next, rinse black beans and place them on a foil-lined tray. Place both the vegetable tray and black bean tray back into the oven for 15 minutes.
8. Add vegetables, beans, and the eggs to the blender. Blend until coarsely combined.
9. Pour the ingredients from the blender into a large mixing bowl and add the grains. Gently fold grains into the mixture.
10. Place a piece of wax paper or parchment onto the kitchen countertop. Using your hands, place the mix onto the paper and form into a large ball, patting it down.
11. Cut the patties into 8 sections. Roll each section into a ball and flatten down using the palms of your hands.
12. Add coconut oil to a large saucepan and cook patties/burgers on each side for 4-6 minutes, until a golden, crispy brown. (Keep saucepan covered to retain moisture)
13. Serve patties in lettuce wraps or bread rolls, with your choice condiments. Freeze for up to 1 month and enjoy by heating back up on the stove top.
*To make this recipe nut-free, substitute nuts for sprouted pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
*To make this recipe vegan, substitute eggs with flax eggs (2 tbsp. flax meal mixed with 6 tbsp. water; combine and let sit for 10 minutes)
*For homemade (vegan) breadcrumbs, blend together nutritional yeast and macadamia nuts.
*For extra protein, use amaranth for the grains in this recipe.