Roasted Vegetable and Chicken Soup
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 3 diced large carrots
- 10 mini portobello mushrooms
- 1 red pepper, roasted
- 1 bag peas
- 3 garlic cubes, minced
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 3 bay leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric
- 1/2 c coconut milk
- 8 c vegetable broth
- 1 c quinoa
- 1 1/3 c chicken broth (for quinoa)
- 2 shredded chicken breasts (optional)
- 2 cans peeled and pureed tomatoes
1. In a large saucepan, mix together carrots, mushrooms and onions and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
2. Roast red pepper in oven: cut pepper in half and bake at 450F until pepper skin starts to brown and peel easily with a fork.
3.Bake chicken in oven at 375F for about 20 minutes or, until chicken is cooked all the way through-- the inside should be a light white color. Shred chicken.
4. Add vegetable broth and red pepper to vegetables, along with turmeric, garlic cloves, cayenne pepper and cumin. Let cook on medium heat.
5. Add quinoa to chicken/vegetable broth and cook. (Read back of quinoa box for exact measurements)
6. Once chicken is cooked, shred using a fork. Add to soup and continue to heat on low to medium heat.
7. Add quinoa to a bowl and pour in soup. Serve with sliced avocado and parsley for garnish.