MATCHA. What’s all the craze?
Matcha, also calledgreen teais a powerful anti-aging powder, that is loaded with antioxidants to keep you glowing and gives you just the right amount of caffeine to get you started, without that terrible afternoon crash. For the last year, I haven’t touched a coffee (big deal). I’ve grown to love the feeling that I have with matcha more than anything else. You see, I used to be a die-hard coffee lover. Every morning on my way to work or class, I made sure to pick up my favorite (cliché) skinny, vanilla latte from Starbucks and be on my way. The problem with that was 2 hours later, I was craving something sweet or just about anything that might bring back that euphoric feeling I had when I started my day.
Beyond its health benefits, there’s one other thing I need to point out, there is no crash. Matcha has about half the amount of caffeine compared to a regular cup of coffee, and the way it energizes you is over a period of 4-6 hours. (the steam behind my writing this post ha)
Now that I’ve touched on my love for this tea, I thought it may be a good idea to talk about the benefits you do have when you drink it. Really, what it is about the tea that has made it such a popular flavor category amongst ice-cream, desserts, lattes and even cookies! Truly, I love seeing this flavor pop up in restaurants and stores all around town.
So, like I said, matcha is loaded with antioxidants. If you look up at the picture of my morning latte, that’s what all the tiny bubbles are- antioxidants released from the ground tea leaves of the plant, when slowly whisked with hot water.
Now, I think you can understand the obsession with this drinking tea and think it’s only fair that I give you an amazing recipe to back up my claim. I’ve tried many combinations of powders and flavors until I came up with this goodie so I do hope you enjoy it! I added my favorite adaptogenic reishi powder because it makes me feel extra zen but the choice is up to you. Enjoy!
Creamy Matcha Latte
- 1 tsp Japanese grade matcha (it’s fine to use the cooking grade matcha sold at most grocery stores. However, it is lower in antioxidants and I suggest looking into brands like Matcha Maiden or Smile tea for high quality matcha, if matcha does become something you love)
- 3 tbsp hot water
- 1 tbsp monk fruit sugar (or any granulated sugar; I choose monk fruit sugar because it is 0 calorie, all naturally derived from the monk fruit in Asia and does notspike blood sugar levels because the molecule is too big to enter the blood stream. You know what that means? Yes, diabetic-safe)
- 1 cup unsweetened, vanilla almond milk (I love using the brand from Thrive as it contains zero artificial flavors, sweeteners or gums; you can use any milk that you normally drink)
- 1/2 – 1 cup filtered water
- 1 tbsp monk maple syrup (really, any sticky sweetener works: agave/pure maple syrup/honey; I choose monk maple syrup for the same reason I use the sugar)
- 1 tsp coconut butter/manna
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp pure reishi powder (optional; I use the brand Om for the reishi powder; reishi is linked to restoring the body to balance, especially under stress)
How to make the matcha latte:
Step 1: In a small bowl, add 1tsp matcha powder, 1 tbsp sugar, 3tbsp hot water. Whisk together, until small bubbles surface to the top.
Step 2: Add 1 cup of milk and 1/2 – 1 cup hot water to a microwave-safe mug and heat for about 2 minutes, until steaming.
Step 3: Add the matcha from your small bowl to a blender, followed by the water-milk mixture in your mug.
Step 4: Now, add the rest of the ingredients: 1tsp coconut butter, 1tbsp maple syrup, 1/4tsp cinnamon, 1/4tsp vanilla, 1tsp reishi (optional). Blend on low-medium for 1-2 minutes, until all the contents are stirred. (if you don’t have a blender, this mixture can be heated in a pot over medium heat, or simply added to a large mug and stirred using a spoon/whisk.)
Step 5: Sprinkle the top of your latte with a bit of matcha or cinnamon and enjoy.
Loved the recipe? Would love your feedback! Make sure to leave comments below <3